Applying for Residence in Portugal
Working in Portugal
Article 90 – Residence permit for teaching activity
Without prejudice of the “EU Blue Card” legal framework (under article 121.º-A of REPSAE), the application for a residence permit to exercise a teaching activity in an educational or vocational training establishment or research centre, is formulated by scheduling (or via an electronic platform – to be implemented for holders of residence visas), by the applicant or by the hosting entity (in this case preferably by electronic means). Must be submitted personally on a standard form signed by the applicant or his/her legal representative at any SEF’s directorate or regional delegation, which, after proceedings and decision, can forward it to the directorate or regional delegation of the applicant’s area of residence. Necessary documentation as follows:
- Two recent, identical photographs, in colour with blank background, and easily identifiable (only for appointments at Odivelas, Aveiro or Braga SEF bureau)
- Passport or any other valid travel document
- Valid residence permit issued under article 61.º of REPSAE, except in applications submitted under n.º 2 of article 90.º – without residence visa
- Evidence of sufficient means of subsistence, as per the provisions of Order Number 1563/2007, of 11/12
- Proof of registration with the Tax Administration and Social Security
- Evidence that the applicant has adequate accommodation
- Permission for SEF to check portuguese criminal record (except people under 16 years old)
- Contract of employment or of services compatible with the teaching activity, or
- Invitation letter issued by the educational or vocational training establishment or research centre
- The Residence Permit described in this section issued with visa exemption, under no. 2 of article 90, shall submit all the documentation stated and in addition a supporting evidence of legal entry and stay in the national territory, as well as the applicant’s Criminal Record of the country of nationality or of the country of residence for over one year (according to nº. 4 of article 53 of Regulatory Decree 84/2007).
- The granting of a residence permit shall entail: the absence of any fact which, if known to the competent authorities, would preclude the granting of the visa; Absence of conviction for a crime which in Portugal is punishable by a custodial sentence of more than one year; The applicant is not within a period of prohibition of entry into the national territory, following an expulsion measure from the country; No indication in the Schengen Information System; No indication in SEF’s Integrated Information System for non-admission purposes, under article 33 of the Aliens Act.
- With the amendment introduced to article 75 of the Aliens Act, by article 192 of Act n.º 75-B/2020 of 31 december – State Budget to 2021 in force since 01/01/2021 and to 2021 –, the temporary residence permit for teaching activity is valid for two years [and not just one] from the date of issue of the corresponding title and renewable for successive periods of three years [and not just two].
- The following administrative offences apply: Article 192 of the Aliens Act (Illegal Stay); Article 197 of the Aliens Act (No entry declaration); Article 198 of the Aliens Act (Unauthorized independent professional activity); Article 199 of the Aliens Act (No travel document).
ARTICLE 90 OF THE REPSAE, IN CONJUNCTION WITH ARTICLE 56 OF THE RD 84/2007 AS AMENDED
ORDER NUMBER 1563/2007, OF 11/12