Applying for Residence in Portugal
Working in Portugal
Article 123-A – Residence permit for holders, administrators or workers of companies established or with main or secondary head office in a state of the European Economic Area or in a state defined by the members of the Government displaced to the national territory
The residence permit shall be issued to its holders, administrators or workers of companies established or with main or secondary head office of a State of the European Economic Area or in a State defined by the members of the Government responsible for the areas of foreign affairs or of the interior, establishing their main or secondary head office in the national territory, when holding a valid residence permit or residence title in the State which is Party to the European Economic Area, or any other to be defined, and such is issued the identical residence title valid in national territory.
The application for residence title should be scheduled (via an electronic platform – to be implemented for holders of residence visas) and submitted personally on a standard form signed by the applicant or his/her legal representative. The application may be submitted at any SEF’s directorate or regional delegation, which, after proceedings and decision, will forward it to the directorate or regional delegation of the applicant’s area of residence. Necessary documentation as follows:
- Two recent, identical photographs, in colour with blank background, and easily identifiable (only for appointments at Odivelas, Aveiro or Braga SEF bureau)
- Passport or any other valid travel document, with the validity covering the duration of transfer
- Evidence of sufficient means of subsistence, as per the provisions of Order number 1563/2007, of 11/12
- Evidence that the applicant has adequate accommodation
- Permission for SEF to check portuguese criminal record (except for anyone under 16 years of age)
- Criminal Record of the country of previous residence (as provided in subparagraph e) of article 62-A of the Regulatory Decree 84/07 of 05/11).
- Holder of a residence permit or card valid in the State which is Party to the European Economic Area or of the State defined/to be defined under number 1 of article 123-A, where the company was established
- The Company’s updated Commercial Registry Certification
- A Contract of Employment or of services or document proving the holder of the company or of social institution
- Evidence of registration within social security
- The granting of a residence permit shall entail: the absence of any fact which, if known to the competent authorities, would preclude the granting of the visa; Absence of conviction for a crime which in Portugal is punishable by a custodial sentence of more than one year; The applicant is not within a period of prohibition of entry into the national territory, following an expulsion measure from the country; No indication in the Schengen Information System; No indication in SEF’s Integrated Information System for non-admission purposes, under article 33 of the Aliens Act.
- Once the foreign residence permit is recognised, a similar residence permit shall be issued valid within the national territory as follows: if temporary, with the amendment introduced to article 75 of the Aliens Act, by article 192 of Act n.º 75-B/2020 of 31 december – State Budget to 2021 in force since 01/01/2021 and to 2021 –, is valid for two years [and not just one] from the date of issue of the corresponding title and renewable for successive periods of three years [and not just two]; if permanent, is valid for five years under article 76 of the Aliens Act.
- The following administrative offences apply: Article 192 of the Aliens Act (Illegal Stay); Article 197 of the Aliens Act (No entry declaration); Article 198 of the Aliens Act (Unauthorized independent
ARTICLE 123-A OF REPSAE
ORDER NUMBER 1563/2007, OF 11/12