Applying for Residence in Portugal
For Living in Portugal and Family Reunification
Article 89, paragraph 4 – Residence permit for entrepreneur immigrants – “Startup visa”
Application for residence card is scheduled (via an electronic platform) submitted personally on a standard form signed by the applicant or his/her legal representative. May be submitted at any SEF’s directorate or regional delegation, which, after proceedings and decision, will forward it to the directorate or regional delegation of the applicant’s area of residence. Necessary documentation as follows:
- Two recent, identical photographs, in colour with blank background, and easily identifiable (only for appointments at Odivelas, Aveiro or Braga SEF bureau)
- Passport or any other valid travel document
- Evidence of sufficient means of subsistence, as per the provisions of Order Number 1563/2007, of 11/12
- Evidence that the applicant has adequate accommodation
- Permission for SEF to check portuguese criminal record (except people under 16 years old)
- Criminal record of the country of nationality of the applicant or criminal record of the applicant of the country of his/her residence for more than one year (according to nº 4 of article 53 of Regulatory Decree nº 84/2007)
- Supporting document in which he/she is included in a certified business incubator, as provided in Decree Order nº. 344/2017 of 13 November or of the compliance as provided in subparagraphs a) or b) of no. 2 of article 60 of Law no. 23/2007 (REPSAE). A pre-registration at IAPMEI, I.P. is required. The information is detailed at the institutional portal of IAPMEI – Agência para a Competitividade e Inovação, I.P.
- The granting of a residence permit shall entail: the absence of any fact which, if known to the competent authorities, would preclude the granting of the visa; Absence of conviction for a crime which in Portugal is punishable by a custodial sentence of more than one year; The applicant is not within a period of prohibition of entry into the national territory, following an expulsion measure from the country; No indication in the Schengen Information System; No indication in SEF’s Integrated Information System for non-admission purposes, under article 33 of the Aliens Act.
With the amendment introduced to article 75 of the Aliens Act, by article 192 of Act n.º 75-B/2020 of 31 december – State Budget to 2021 in force since 01/01/2021 and to 2021 –, the temporary residence permit for entrepreneur immigrants – “Startup visa” – is valid for two years [and not just one] from the date of issue of the corresponding title and renewable for successive periods of three years [and not just for two].
- The following administrative offences apply: Article 192 of the Aliens Act (Illegal Stay); Article 197 of the Aliens Act (No entry declaration); Article 199 of the Aliens Act (No travel document).
ARTICLE 89 PARAGRAPH 4 OF REPSAE, IN CONJUNCTION WITH ARTICLE 55, Nº. 6 OF THE RD 84/2007 AS AMENDED AND WITH DECREE ORDER Nº. 344/2017 OF NOVEMBER 11
ORDER NUMBER 1563/2007, OF 11/12