Applying for Residence in Portugal
For Living in Portugal and Family Reunification
Article 80 – Permanent Residence Permit
- Application delivered personally (on a standard form) signed by the applicant (where the applicant is either a minor or legally disabled person the form shall be signed by his / her legal representative)
- Two recent, identical photographs, in colour with blank background, and easily identifiable (only for appointments at Odivelas, Aveiro or Braga SEF bureau)
- Passport or any other valid travel document
- Evidence of sufficient means of subsistence, as per the provisions of Order number 1563/2007, de 11/12
- Evidence that the applicant has adequate accommodation
- Permission for SEF to check portuguese criminal record – except for under 16 years old
- Supporting evidence of tax and social security obligations
- The applicant must hold a temporary Residence Permit for a minimum period of five years
- Evidence of basic command of the Portuguese language, by presenting:
- A certificate issued by a Portuguese official or officially recognized teaching establishment, or
- Where the applicant attended an official or officially recognized teaching establishment in a Portuguese speaking country, an attestation of successful completion of studies issued by that teaching establishment, or
- Attestation of successful completion of elementary Portuguese studies issued by the Institute for Employment and Professional Training (IEFP) or by any other official or officially recognized teaching establishment, or
- Certificate of knowledge of basic Portuguese, through a test in Teaching Portuguese as a Foreign Language (CAPLE), recognized by the Ministry of Education and Science.
- It is a condition for granting a permanent residence permit in the five years immediately preceding the application, applicants may not have been the object of custodial sentence (s) that individually or jointly exceed one year of imprisonment, even if, in case of sentencing for felonious crime set out in this legal framework, for crime of terrorism, for highly violent or highly organized crime, the enforcement of the sentence has been suspended;
- To the citizens holding a residence permit for investment purposes and their family members, complying with the requirements provided in article 80 of the Aliens Act and wish to be granted with a permanent residence permit, a permanent residence permit for investment purposes shall be issued, exempt of the provided in article 85, n.ºs 2, 3 and 4, subparagraph b) of the same diploma (cancellation of the right due to absences from the national territory, see article 65-k of the Regulatory Decree 84/07 of 5/11, as amended). The Permanent Residence Permit for investment purposes may be subject to specific fees of analysis and issuance, to be regulated by amendments to Ordinance 1334-E/2010, of December 31.
Without prejudice to as provided for the family reunification (article 107 of the Aliens Act) the permanent residence permit is issued for five years and has no validity. However, the residence permit must be renewed every five years or whenever changes in the identification elements registered occur.
ARTICLE 80 OF THE ALIENS ACT, IN CONJUNCTION WITH ARTICLES 64 AND 65-K (FOR HOLDERS OF A RESIDENCE PERMIT FOR INVESTMENT PURPOSES) OF THE REGULATORY DECREE N.º 84/07 OF 05/11, AS AMENDED
ORDER NUMBER 1563/2007, OF 11/12