Applying for Residence in Portugal
Studying in Portugal
Article 94 – Residence Permit for volunteers
The application for residence title should be scheduled (via an electronic platform – to be implemented for holders of residence visas) and submitted personally on a standard form signed by the applicant or his/her legal representative. The application may be submitted at any SEF’s directorate or regional delegation, which, after proceedings and decision, will forward it to the directorate or regional delegation of the applicant’s area of residence. Necessary documentation as follows:
- Two recent, identical photographs, in colour with blank background, and easily identifiable (only for appointments at Odivelas, Aveiro or Braga SEF bureau)
- Passport or any other valid travel document
- Valid residence visa issued under no. 8 of article 62 of Law no. 23/2007 (REPSAE)
- Evidence of sufficient means of subsistence, as per the provisions of Order number 1563/2007, of 11/12
- Evidence that the applicant has adequate accommodation
- Permission for SEF to check portuguese criminal record (except for under 16 years old)
- Contract celebrated between the hosting entity responsible for the volunteer programme of which is composed by a description of the contents and duration of the volunteer programme, schedule, supervision conditions and guarantee of covering of food and accommodation expenses, including a minimum amount of allowances or pocket money
- Evidence in which the hosting entity has subscribed an insurance on civil liability, except in case of volunteers participating in the European Volunteer Service
- Health Insurance or evidence in which is covered by the National Health Service
- The granting of a residence permit shall entail: the absence of any fact which, if known to the competent authorities, would preclude the granting of the visa; Absence of conviction for a crime which in Portugal is punishable by a custodial sentence of more than one year; The applicant is not within a period of prohibition of entry into the national territory, following an expulsion measure from the country; No indication in the Schengen Information System; No indication in SEF’s Integrated Information System for non-admission purposes, under article 33 of the Aliens Act.
- Under number 2 of article 94 of REPSAE, the residence permit is valid for one year only or for the time of duration of the volunteer programme, without renewal.
- Under number 1 of article 97 of REPSAE, the volunteer is not allowed to have a professional activity.
- The following administrative offences apply: Article 192 of the Aliens Act (Illegal Stay); Article 197 of the Aliens Act (No entry declaration); Article 198 of the Aliens Act (Unauthorized independent professional activity); Article 199 of the Aliens Act (No travel document).
ARTICLE 94 OF THE REPSAE, IN CONJUNCTION WITH ARTICLE 57, PARAGRAPH 5 OF THE RD 84/2007 AS AMENDED
ORDER NUMBER 1563/2007, OF 11/12