Applying for Residence in Portugal
Studying in Portugal
Article 93 – Residence permit for trainees
Application for residence card is scheduled (via an electronic platform) submitted personally on a standard form signed by the applicant or his/her legal representative. May be submitted at any SEF’s directorate or regional delegation, which, after proceedings and decision, will forward it to the directorate or regional delegation of the applicant’s area of residence. Necessary documentation as follows:
- Two recent, identical photographs, in colour with blank background, and easily identifiable (only for appointments at Odivelas, Aveiro or Braga SEF bureau)
- Passport or any other valid travel document
- Valid residence visa issued under no. 7 of article 62 of Law no. 23/2007 (REPSAE), except in requests submitted under no. 3 of article 93 – possibility of visa exemption
- Evidence of sufficient means of subsistence, as per the provisions of Order number 1563/2007, of 11/12
- Evidence that the applicant has adequate accommodation
- Permission for SEF to check portuguese criminal record (except for under 16 years old)
- Applications submitted with visa exemption should have attached evidence of legal entry and stay in national territory
- In the situations provided in nº. 3 of article 93 of REPSAE, the applicant must submit a criminal record of the country of his/her nationality or criminal record of the country of his/her residence for more than one year (according to no. 4 of article 53 of Regulatory Decree 84/2007 – except for anyone under 16 years of age)
- Training contract celebrated between a professional training company or body issued under nº. 7 of article 62 of REPSAE
- Health insurance or evidence in which he/she is covered by the National Health Service
- The granting of a residence permit shall entail: the absence of any fact which, if known to the competent authorities, would preclude the granting of the visa; Absence of conviction for a crime which in Portugal is punishable by a custodial sentence of more than one year; The applicant is not within a period of prohibition of entry into the national territory, following an expulsion measure from the country; No indication in the Schengen Information System; No indication in SEF’s Integrated Information System for non-admission purposes, under article 33 of the Aliens Act.
- Pursuant to article 93, n.º 2, of the Aliens Act, the residence permit for trainees is valid for six months, or for the duration period of the traineeship, if the latter is higher, and cannot be renewed. Because this is a special legal provision, the amendment introduced to article 75 of the Aliens Act by article 183 of Act n.º 2/2020 of 31 March – State Budget to 2020 does not apply.
- Under number 1 of article 97 of REPSAE, the volunteer is not allowed to have a professional activity
- The following administrative offences apply: Article 192 of the Aliens Act (Illegal Stay); Article 197 of the Aliens Act (No entry declaration); Article 198 of the Aliens Act (Unauthorized independent professional activity); Article 199 of the Aliens Act (No travel document).
ARTICLE 93 OF THE ALIENS ACT, IN CONJUNCTION WITH ARTICLE 57 NO. 4 OF THE REGULATORY DECREE N.º 84/07 OF 05/11, AS AMENDED
ORDER NUMBER 1563/2007, OF 11/12