Applying for Residence in Portugal
Studying in Portugal
Article 91-B – Residence permit for researchers
Application for residence card is scheduled (via an electronic platform) submitted personally on a standard form signed by the applicant or his/her legal representative. May be submitted at any SEF’s directorate or regional delegation, which, after proceedings and decision, will forward it to the directorate or regional delegation of the applicant’s area of residence. Necessary documentation as follows:
- Two recent, identical photographs, in colour with blank background, and easily identifiable (only for appointments at Odivelas, Aveiro or Braga SEF bureau)
Passport or any other valid travel document
- Valid residence permit issued under article 62 of REPSAE, except for applications submitted under no. 9 of article 91-B
- Evidence of sufficient means of subsistence, as per the provisions of Order number 1563/2007, of 11/12
- Evidence that the applicant has adequate accommodation
- Permission for SEF to check portuguese criminal record (except for under 16 years old)
- In situations provided in no. 9 of article 91-B of REPSAE, the applicant shall submit the criminal record of the country of his/her nationality or criminal record of the country of his/her residence for more than one year (according to no. 4 of article 53 of Regulatory Decree no. 84/2007).
- Contract of Employment, or
- Contract of services, or
- Scientific Research Scholarship, or
- Hosting Agreement and
- Registration within social security, in situations of a contract of employment or of provision of services and, optionally, of registration within a voluntary social insurance.
Under nº. 2 of article 91-B, researchers admitted in Investigation Centres officially recognised (list to be defined by the members of the Government responsible by the area of sciences and higher education) are exempted from submitting the documents supporting the means of subsistence, accommodation and registration within social security, when applicable.
- The granting of a residence permit shall entail: the absence of any fact which, if known to the competent authorities, would preclude the granting of the visa; Absence of conviction for a crime which in Portugal is punishable by a custodial sentence of more than one year; The applicant is not within a period of prohibition of entry into the national territory, following an expulsion measure from the country; No indication in the Schengen Information System; No indication in SEF’s Integrated Information System for non-admission purposes, under article 33 of the Aliens Act.
- Pursuant to article 91-B, n.º 6, of the Aliens Act, the residence permit for researchers is valid for one year, and is renewable (for two-year periods) under article 78, if the conditions under which the permit has been granted are kept. Under article 91-B, n.º 7, if the permit is granted to researchers covered by the European Union or multilateral programs, including mobility measures, it is valid for two years or for the duration of the hosting agreement, if less, except in cases in which the researchers do not meet the conditions (article 62) on the date of granting, by which it shall be valid for one year only. Because these are special legal provisions, the amendment introduced to article 75 of the Aliens Act, by article 192 of Act n.º 75-B/2020 of 31 december – State Budget to 2021 in force since 01/01/2021 and to 2021 does not apply.
- Under no. 3 of article 97 of REPSAE, researchers may have a teaching activity accordingly. However, they cannot have other activities under the exclusivity of a research scholarship award.
- The deadline for the decision on the application for issuance or renewal is of 60 days for researcher admitted in a hosting entity officially recognised, under nº. 5 of article 96 of REPSAE.
- The following administrative offences apply: Article 192 of the Aliens Act (Illegal Stay); Article 197 of the Aliens Act (No entry declaration); Article 199 of the Aliens Act (No travel document).
ARTICLE 91-B OF THE ALIENS ACT, IN CONJUNCTION WITH ARTICLE 57 Nº.S 6, 7 AND 8 OF THE REGULATORY DECREE N.º 84/07 OF 05/11, AS AMENDED
ORDER NUMBER 1563/2007, OF 11/12