Applying for Residence in Portugal
Article 122, paragraph 1, subparagraph q) – For foreigners who, having benefited from a visa for temporary stay for research or highly qualified activity, wish to have a research, teaching or highly qualified activity in national territory
The application shall be delivered personally, on a standard form signed by the applicant or by his/her legal representative, if the applicant is a minor or legally disabled, and can be submitted in any SEF directorate or regional delegation, which may send it, after proceedings and decision, to the directorate or regional delegation of the applicant’s area of residence.
- Two recent, identical photographs, in colour with blank background, and easily identifiable (only for appointments at Odivelas, Aveiro or Braga SEF bureau)
- Passport or any other valid travel document
- Evidence of sufficient means of subsistence, as per the provisions of Order number 1563/2007, of 11/12
- Evidence that the applicant has adequate accommodation
- Permission for SEF to check portuguese criminal record
- Certificate of the criminal record from the country of origin (except if the request has been submitted immediately following the expiry date of the Temporary Residence Permit, and the applicant has not been absent from the National Territory)
- Contract of employment or of services relating to the research, teaching in a higher education institution or highly qualified activity, or evidence in which the foreign national complies with the conditions provided in no. 2 of article 18 of the Convention Implementing the Schengen Agreement, or
- As appropriate, the specific documents requested for articles 88 and 89 or 90 for the Temporary Residence Permit must also be submitted
- In the case of citizens complying with the conditions provided in no. 2 of article 18 of the Convention Implementing the Schengen Agreement and wishing to continue living in national territory must submit evidence in which the conditions through which they have obtained the extension of the stay of the temporary stay visas are kept.
- The residence permit with a visa waiver is granted to foreign nationals only when there is no conviction for imprisonment or imprisonment which, separately or cumulatively, exceeds one year even when in the case of condemnation for intentional crime provided in this diploma or within this context, or for a crime of terrorism, violent crime or specially violent crime or highly organised crime, its execution has been suspended.
- With the amendment introduced to article 75 of the Aliens Act, by article 192 of Act n.º 75-B/2020 of 31 december – State Budget to 2021 in force since 01/01/2021 and to 2021 –, the temporary residence permit is valid for two years [and not just one] from the date of issue of the corresponding title and renewable for successive periods of three years [and not just two].
ARTICLE 122, PARAGRAPH 1, SUBPARAGRAPH Q) OF THE REPSAE, IN CONJUNCTION WITH ARTICLE 61, PARAGRAPHS 1 AND 18 OF THE RD 84/2007 AS AMENDED
ORDER NUMBER 1563/2007, OF 11/12