Renewing Residence in Portugal
Article 91-B, paragraph 6 – Renewing a Residence Permit for Researchers
The application for the renewing of a residence permit shall be made on-line. It shall be delivered personally, on a standard form signed by the applicant or by his/her legal representative, if the applicant is a minor or legally disabled, and can be submitted in any SEF directorate or regional delegation, which may send it, after proceedings and decision, to the directorate or regional delegation of the applicant’s area of residence. It shall be accompanied by:
- Two recent, identical photographs, in colour with blank background, and easily identifiable (only for appointments at Odivelas, Aveiro or Braga SEF bureau)
- Valid Residence Permit or expired for six months
- Passport or any other valid travel document
- Evidence of sufficient means of subsistence, as provided in Order Number 1563/2007, of 11/12, allowing for the minimum amount mentioned to be exempted according to the circumstances case by case
- Evidence that the applicant has adequate accommodation
- Permission for SEF to check portuguese criminal record – except for under 16 years old
- Researchers admitted in Investigation Centres officially recognised (list to be defined by the members of the Government responsible for the area of sciences and higher education, see no. 5) are exempted from submitting the documents supporting the means of subsistence, accommodation and registration in Social Security, when applicable.
- Health insurance or evidence in that he/she is covered by the national health system
- Declaration issued by the Research Centre or higher education institution hosting the applicant confirming the keeping of the contract of employment, contract of services, scientific research scholarship or hosting agreement.
- Whenever the applicant holds a teaching activity (see no. 3, article 91 of Law no. 23/2007 – REPSAE), should submit further a declaration of the teaching institution confirming so, as well as the IRS declaration and evidence of the fiscal situation (subject to confirmation by SEF with the renewal request)
- The application for renewing the residence permit may be submitted by the person concerned between 90 and 30 days previous to the expiry of the title
- The renewing of the Temporary Residence Permit should be required 30 days before the validity has expired.
- Pursuant to article 91-B, n.º 6, of the Aliens Act, the residence permit for researchers is valid for one year, and is renewable (for two-year periods) under article 78, if the conditions under which the permit has been granted are kept. The amendment introduced to article 75 of the Aliens Act by article 183 of Act n.º 2/2020 of 31 March – State Budget to 2020 applies, by which in 2020 permits are renewed for three-year periods of time.
- The residence permit may not be renewed by public order or public security reasons
- The residence permit of foreign nationals is renewed only when there is no conviction for imprisonment or imprisonment which, separately or cumulatively, exceeds one year even when in the case of condemnation for intentional crime provided in this diploma or within this context, or for a crime of terrorism, violent crime or specially violent crime or highly organised crime, its execution has been suspended
- The residence permit for any foreign national declared contumacious is not renewable while he/she does not submit evidence in which that declaration has expired
- The residence permit for any foreign national under imprisonment can only be renewed provided there is no decision for his/her removal
- As the case may be, the residence permit is not renewed under no. 2 of article 95 of REPSAE if:
- The applicant no longer complies the conditions provided in article 62, as well as in articles 90 to 94, according to the category;
- The applicant holds residence in the national territory for reasons other than those for which the residence has been authorised;
- The applicant holds a professional activity in violation of article 97;
- The applicant does not complete the studies successfully;
- The documents submitted have been obtained in a fraudulent manner, falsified or adulterated;
- The hosting entity has been established or works for facilitate the entry of nationals in a third country, or has been sanctioned, under the national legislation, for non-declared work and/or illegal employment; or
- The hosting entity has not regarded the legal obligations in matter of social security, taxes, labour rights or is being or has been dissolved or declared insolvent, under the national legislation, or has no record of any activity whatsoever.
- Residents shall inform SEF of any change in their civil status or address within a 60-day period from the date of change.
- The supporting document is proof of the Residence Permit renewal for Residence Permit purposes for 60 days and renewable.
ARTICLE 91 B, PARAGRAPH 6 OF THE ALIENS ACT, IN CONJUNCTION WITH ARTICLE 63, PARAGRAPHS 1 AND 6 OF THE REGULATORY DECREE N.84/07 OF 05/11, AS AMENDED
ORDER NUMBER 1563/2007, OF 11/12