Renewing Residence in Portugal
Article 78, paragraph 2 – Renewing a Residence Permit for entrepreneur immigrants – “Startup Visa”
The application for the renewing of a residence permit shall be made on-line. It shall be delivered personally, on a standard form signed by the applicant or by his/her legal representative, if the applicant is a minor or legally disabled, and can be submitted in any SEF directorate or regional delegation, which may send it, after proceedings and decision, to the directorate or regional delegation of the applicant’s area of residence. It shall be accompanied by:
- Two recent, identical photographs, in colour with blank background, and easily identifiable (only for appointments at Odivelas, Aveiro or Braga SEF bureau)
- Residence Title valid, or expired in the previous 6 months
- Passport or any other valid travel document
- Evidence of sufficient means of subsistence, as per the provisions of Order number 1563/2007, of 11/12
- Evidence that the applicant has adequate accommodation
- Permission for SEF to check portuguese criminal record (except for under 16 years old)
- Evidence of registration within tax authority
- Evidence of the regular situation within social security
- Proof of the keeping of the entrepreneur project with the IAPMEI, I.P., proving the keeping of the incubation contract within a certified incubator, under as defined in Order 344/2017 of 13 November, by means of submission of the customised incubation plan and of the last quarterly report.
- Residence Permit may be refused on grounds of public policy or national security reasons.
- The residence permit of foreign nationals is renewed only when there is no conviction for imprisonment or imprisonment which, separately or cumulatively, exceeds one year even when in the case of condemnation for intentional crime provided in this diploma or within this context, or for a crime of terrorism, violent crime or specially violent crime or highly organised crime, its execution has been suspended
- For any foreign national considered contumacious the residence permit is not renewed, until submission of evidence in which such declaration has expired
- The residence permit held by a foreign citizen convicted to a custodial sentence shall only be renewed if that same citizen has not been subject to a decree of expulsion
- The application for renewing the residence permit may be submitted by the person concerned between 90 and 30 days previous to the expiry of the title
- Residents shall communicate to SEF any changes in their marital status, or in their home address, within 60 days of the date those alterations occur
- With the amendment introduced to article 75 of the Aliens Act, by article 192 of Act n.º 75-B/2020 of 31 december – State Budget to 2021 in force since 01/01/2021 and to 2021 – the temporary residence permit for entrepreneur immigrants – Startup Visa – is renewable for successive periods of three years [and not just two]
- The supporting document is proof of the Residence Permit renewal for Residence Permit purposes for 60 days and is renewable.
ARTICLE 78, PARAGRAPH 2 OF THE ALIENS ACT, IN CONJUNCTION WITH ARTICLE 63, PARAGRAPH 1 AND 5 OF THE REGULATORY DECREE N.84/07 OF 05/11, AS AMENDED
ORDER NUMBER 1563/2007, OF 11/12